A 2-Credit Certified Course on
Bhakti Yoga – Philosophy, Practice & Transformation (BYPPT)
09thMarch, 2021 to 08th June, 2021
About Indica Yoga
We are a platform that offers diverse and inclusive Yoga that is authentic, immersive and transformative. We believe practice of Hatha Yoga is an important first step towards Well-being & Liberation. In addition to Asanas one's practice has to include Mantras & Mindfulness, Sanskrit & Shastras. Such a practice when combined with the science of Ayurveda and the wisdom of Vedanta brings about a complete transformation. We call this approach Asana+. Our Asana+ programs include talks, workshops, courses, retreats and festivals.
About the Course
“BHAKTI YOGA is the path of systematized devotion for the attainment of union with the Absolute. It is the easiest and surest path to realization.” - Swami Vivekananda (Complete Works 6:90)
In spite of all scientific and technological advancements, today’s generation is suffering a lot from emotional imbalances and stress which in turn is negatively impacting their personal and professional lives. BHAKTI YOGA, a classical stream of Yoga aids in emotional culturing and balance by the process of emotional sublimation in a Divine way instead of suppressing them. Great seers and realized masters like Adi Shankara, Chaitanya, Ramakrishna Paramahamsa and Swami Vivekananda have endorsed Bhakti Yoga as the easiest and best path for spiritual attainment. This certificate course on “Bhakti Yoga – Philosophy, Practice and Transformation” emphasizes the importance of Bhakti as an inevitable component of Yoga and its relevance in the contemporary situation and takes the aspirants into an immersive study of the philosophy, substantiated by experiential practical techniques leading to self-transformation.
It is open to all who seek to deepen their knowledge and understanding of the Yoga tradition. It is specially designed for the benefit of:
- Yoga Teachers & Yoga Therapists
- Students of Yoga Courses
- Yoga enthusiasts
- Sadhakas - spiritual aspirants
Note: There is no age limit.
- Etymology & Definitions of Bhakti Yoga
- Overview of textual references for Bhakti
- Schools of Bhakti Yoga
- Forms of Bhakti – 5 types of Divine Emotions
- 9 ways of connecting to the Divine
- Science of surrender
- Characteristic features of a Bhakta
- Life & teachings of Saints in Bhakti traditions
- Practical aspects of Japa Yoga (chanting), Kirtana (transcendental singing), Nrtya Yoga (ecstatic dancing), simplified Puja Vidhana (devotional offering) and Manasa Upasana (meditation)
- Relevance & applications of Bhakti Yoga in modern times
Students of this course will:
- Learn to appreciate the origin and development of Yogic thought and practices from ancient to current times
- Be able understand and engage with the seminal texts of the Bhakti tradition in their original form like Narada Bhakti Sutra, Srimad Bhagawatam and Bhagawad Gita
- Understand the core concepts and frameworks of Bhakti Yoga such as Bhakti, Bhagawan, Avathara, Guru, Bhava, Nava Vidha Bhakti, Sharanagati, Bhagawan Naama, Nama Sankeertana, Japa, Seva and Sakshatkara which are essential components of Sanatana Dharma
- Understand the different approaches, lineages, schools and practices which are part of the greater tradition of Bhakti Yoga
- Get to understand the life and teachings of great Bhaktas and Acharyas from across the country and traditions
- Acquire a broader perspective of Yoga beyond postures
- Become familiar with Bhakti Yoga as a pathway to emotional sublimation, self-surrender and transformation
- Learn to practice a few stotras, bhajans, japa, divine ecstatic dancing, do a simplified puja and meditation
- Learn to integrate these teachings in their day to day living
- 14 Live, Interactive Zoom Sessions
- 2 additional dedicated Q & A Sessions
- Access to recorded sessions
- Suggested Course Readings
- Certificate upon successful completion
Duration: A 2 credit (30hrs) programme delivered over 1 Trimester from 09th March 2021 to 08th June, 2021.
- 1hr 30 mins Live session with faculty every Tuesday between 6.30 to 8.00 PM IST (one session per week)
- 2 Q & A Sessions
- March: 09*, 16, 23, 30
- April: 06, 13, 20, 27
- May: 04, 11, 18, 25
- June: 01, 08
* Orientation Session
Course Attendance: Students to take their own responsibility to catch-up with class recordings in-case they miss the live session.
Session Recordings: Access to the recordings of the sessions, course resources & materials related to the sessions will be provided in the E-learning platform only. Participants can access these materials for 1 year from the commencement of the course.
Platform: Zoom Webinar
Medium of Instruction: English
Assessment& Certification: Essay to be submitted at the end of the course for successful completion and certification.
CE with Yoga Alliance: This is a bonus for all Registered Yoga Teachers (RYTs) with Yoga Alliance as this course is eligible for 30 (non-contact) CE hours of Yoga Alliance.
Course Fee: Rs.6000/- For Indian Residents & USD 100 for International Students
Early Bird Offer: Rs.5000/- & USD 90 (respectively) for registrations up to 28th February
Last Date for Registration: 06th March, 2021 Prior registration compulsory to attend the course.
Click here to register: https://www.indicacademy.org/enroll/vidwan/dr-subramanian-ananda-venkata/bhakti-yoga-byppt/
Dr. Subramanian Ananda Venkata, Chief Faculty
Dr. Subramanian Ananda Venkata, (Subbu Bhaiya) is a traditional Yoga Master who not only trains the aspirants into subtle nuance of classical Yoga but takes them to the depth of Spiritual experience. An Electronics & Communication Engineer by qualification, Subbuji gave up his corporate career and shifted to the human engineering of Yoga- Spirituality inspired by the teachings of Masters like Swami Vivekananda. He is an initiated disciple of Swami Atmasthanandaji Maharaj of Ramakrishna Mission and Mahatma Krishnapremi Maharaj in Bhakti tradition. He has learnt Vedanta from Pujya Swami Dayananda Saraswati and his senior disciples. A practitioner of the path of Bhakti Since childhood, he is well acknowledged for his wisdom on Bhakti Scriptures. After his Master’s Degree and advanced trainings from the world renowned S-VYASA Yoga University, he had served the institute as a faculty and coordinator for about twelve years. He has done his Doctorate in Yoga-Spirituality from Hindu University of America, Florida, USA. He has trained hundreds of Yoga Trainers across the globe. He was blessed with the title “Kavithamani” by HH Shankaracharya Swamiji of Kanchi Mutt at the age of 13 in appreciation of his Divine poems. Currently he serves as the Director of Adhyatma Yoga Academy.
Dr. Vinayachandra Banavathy
Dr. Vinayachandra is the Director of Indica Yoga, a platform that offers authentic, immersive and transformative yoga experiences across the world. He holds a PhD on psychological insights in the Vedas from Pondicherry University, besides Masters’ in Sanskrit, English, Yogic Science and Applied Psychology. Vinayachandra is a dedicated teacher who travels across the world conducting courses, lectures and workshops on a unique blend of Yoga, Psychology and Sanskrit. His publications include a report on Standardization of Yoga Terminologies for WHO; a book co-edited with Dr. Anuradha Choudry titled ‘Perspectives on Indian Psychology’, published by Jain University Press, another book co-authored titled ‘Happiness: Indic Perspectives’, published by Development Foundation, besides a few articles, papers, booklets on Yoga, Indian Psychology, Culture and Spirituality.
Dr. Anuradha Choudry
Dr. Anuradha is a guest faculty at Indica Yoga. She is currently working as a joint Faculty at the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences and at the Rekhi Centre of Excellence for the Science of Happiness at the Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur. A multilingual Sanskritist, she works in the areas of Indian/Yoga Psychology, Philosophy and Culture and travels across the world to deliver lectures and conduct workshops on these topics for national and international organisations and events including the Annual Yoga Congress organised by the European Union of Yoga in Zinal, Switzerland. She has published in various journals and has co-edited and co-authored books titled 'Perspectives on Indian Psychology’; and 'Happiness: Indian Perspectives'; respectively along with Dr. Vinayachandra B. K. Last year, she was the recipient of the Excellent Young Teacher Award at IIT Kharagpur.
For more details and early bird offer please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the course code ‘BYPPT’ in the subject line.