A 3-Credit Certified Course on
Principles and Practice of Antaranga Yoga (PPAY)
19th April, 2021 to 02nd July, 2021
About the Course
The ending of duHkha and experiencing Ananda is the fundamental goal of yoga. However, with an overemphasis on relaxation and health benefits, the popular idea of yoga has become restricted to a small range of practices like Asana, pranayama and mindfulness. There is also the tendency to focus on the ultimate end point of Yoga namely the union between jeevAtma and paramAtma.
The core of the teaching in the Yoga sutra is not focused on either of these extremes. It directs attention to the functioning of one’s psyche. A mind that is not capable sustained attentiveness is neither capable of comprehending the world, nor understanding oneself. The Yoga Sutra takes a step by step approach to enabling a person to have a deep insight into the way our mind functions. It not only describes the process that enables deep dhyAna and samadhi, but also the processes that cloud the mind and prevents it from acting from its full potential, experience joy and rest in profound peace.
Since Patanjali’s Yoga Sutra is built on the darsana of Sankhya, this course will start with unpacking the worldview of Sankhya. Given that the Bhagavad Gita is a synthesis of Sankhya and Yoga, it will prepare the students for a deeper philosophical understanding of the Bhagavad Gita.
It is open to all who seek to deepen their knowledge and understanding of the Yoga tradition. It is specially designed for the benefit of:
- Yoga Teachers & Yoga Therapists
- Students of Yoga Courses
- Yoga enthusiasts
- Sadhakas - spiritual aspirants
Note: There is no age limit.
- What is the Yoga as enunciated by the sage Patanjali?
- What role does bahiranga yoga (practices like asana, pranayama, yama and niyama) play in the scheme of Yoga?
- Understanding the ‘self’ (one’s limited identity and personhood) referred to antaranga yoga and transcending the self as a way to realise the “Self” form the core of the profound insights that Patanjali’s Yoga Sutra has to offer. . This course will introduce the seeker to these realms.
- How does the Yoga sutra look at the processes of the mind? How does it approach the practice of mastery over one’s mind?
- What is the thread of systematic psycho-spiritual evolution that runs through all the eight limbs of Yoga as enunciated in the Yoga Sutra?
Students of this course will:
- Gain a traditional understanding of Patanjali’s Yoga Sutra as enunciated by the great master Yogacharya Krishnamacharya.
- Develop an understanding of the key practices that enable a mastery of one’s mind and self;
- Understand the nuances of the psycho-spiritual evolutionary path that Yoga entails;
- Learn about the philosophical foundations on which Yoga is built.
- Learn to integrate these teachings in their day to day living
- 22 Live, Interactive Zoom Sessions
- 2 additional dedicated Q & A Sessions
- Access to recorded sessions
- Suggested Course Readings
- Certificate upon successful completion
Duration: A 3 credit (45hrs) programme delivered over 3Trimester from 19th April 2021 to 02nd July, 2021.
- 1hr 30 mins Live session with faculty every Monday & Friday between 7.30 to 9.00 PM IST (Two sessions per week)
- 2 Q & A Sessions
- April: 19*, 23, 26, 30
- May: 03, 07, 10, 14, 17, 21, 24, 28, 31
- June: 04, 07, 11, 14, 18, 21, 25, 28
- July: 02
* Orientation Session
Course Attendance: Students to take their own responsibility to catch-up with class recordings in-case they miss the live session.
Session Recordings: Access to the recordings of the sessions, course resources & materials related to the sessions will be provided in the E-learning platform only. Participants can access these materials for 1 year from the commencement of the course.
Platform: Zoom Webinar
Medium of Instruction: English
Assessment & Certification: Reflective work as suggested by Course Teachers
CE with Yoga Alliance: This is a bonus for all Registered Yoga Teachers (RYTs) with Yoga Alliance as this course is eligible for 45 (non-contact) hours CE with Yoga Alliance.
Thank You for your interest! We have had an overwhelming response to this batch.
Please share your details in this form and we shall contact you when the next batch opens
Sri. Raghu Ananthanarayanan, Chief Faculty
Three extraordinary teachers mentored Raghu Ananthanarayanan when in very difficult phases of his life, namely; J Krishnamurti, Yogacharya Krishnamacharya and Pulin K Garg. He was intimately involved with them for more than a decade from his late twenties. This engagement not only transformed him, it evoked from him his service orientation, his sadhana. His work revolves around helping individuals, groups and organizations discover their dharma, and become the best they can be. This he believes aligns with his own personal sadhana.
Formally trained as an engineer with an MS in Bio-Medical Engineering from IIT, Madras, he has been in immersive involvement in questions of human life. In academic areas, he has been Cofounder of the Sumedhas Academy of Human Context since 1995, and of the Barefoot Academy of Governance with TISS since 2012. He is one of the Directors of the Centre for Consciousness and Inner Transformation, an initiative of Indic Academy. As Director of Flame Tao Knoware Pvt Ltd Raghu spans the commercial world of consulting by helping redesign the client organization for greater alignment and synergy. Raghu has authored several books: Learning Through Yoga, The Totally Aligned Organization, Leadership Dharma, Arjuna the Timeless Metaphor, Organizational Development and Alignment: The Tensegrity Mandala (as co-author with Gagandeep Singh).
Currently his wife Sashi and he, donning their role as Chief Mentors are working on nurturing people on a Sacred Quest at Ritambhara Ashram, situated in the beautiful Nilagiris.
Smt. Saraswathi Vasudevan, Co-Faculty
Saraswathi Vasudevan is yoga teacher, trainer and therapist in the tradition of Sri T Krishnamacharya. She has close to three decades of study, practice and teaching experience in this tradition, having studied directly with Sri TKV Desikachar for over 17 years. She has two Masters Degrees in Nutrition and Psychology from the University of Madras, Chennai, and a Post-Graduate Diploma in Yoga Studies from Krishnamacharya Yoga Mandiram (KYM), Chennai. In 2010, she founded YogaVahini, a Specialised Yoga Training, Therapy and Research Centre along with her husband Sundar, with the aim of making the transformative and healing wisdom of yoga and personalised yoga therapy more accessible to everyone. YogaVahini has centres in Chennai & Hyderabad and presence in other cities in India and around the world.
In 2016 she co-founded Yoga Vahini Foundation, a Public Charitable Trust that aims to bring yoga and yoga therapy to rural and under served populations through yoga camps, trainings and awareness programs.
Saraswathi currently serves on the Voluntary Board of Directors of Yoga Alliance, the largest international yoga certifying and credentialing body which provides strategic direction that advances the development and livelihood of yoga professionals across the world.
For more details and early bird offer please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the course code ‘PPAY’ in the subject line.